Feminist Studies in Religion, Inc. (FSR, Inc.) is a nonprofit organization whose goal is to foster feminist studies in religion in all of its variety and diversity. We understand “feminist studies in religion” to encompass global critical feminist work in religious studies, theology, and spirituality both inside and outside the academy and at the grassroots level. We seek to generate new feminist scholarship in religion and to create spaces for such scholarship to emerge. Founded in 1983, FSR, Inc. pioneered the development of feminist studies in religion as a field through its establishment and sponsorship of the Journal of Feminist Studies in Religion.
More recently, we have expanded our work to include publishing books through our FSR Books series. We have also broadened our work in developing a dynamic website and providing other contexts and spaces in which feminists can come together to explore and develop new initiatives such as sponsoring conferences or the FSR Blog.
*To see FSR’s commitment to combating anti-Black racism, click here.
The work of FSR is sustained by a number of boards:
- María Pilar Aquino, University of San Diego
- Katie G. Cannon, Union Theological Seminary-PCSE
- Kathleen Gallagher Elkins, St. Norbert College
- Mary Hunt, WATER
- Grace Ji-Sun Kim, Earlham school of Religion
- Melanie Johnson-DeBaufre, Drew University
- Stephanie May, The First Parish in Wayland
- Kate Ott, Drew University
- Kwok Pui lan, Episcopal Divinity School
- Judith Plaskow, Manhattan College
- Elisabeth Schüssler Fiorenza, Harvard Divinity School
- Traci West, Drew University
- Deborah F. Whitehead, University of Colorado, Boulder