Feminist Studies in Religion, Inc. (FSR, Inc.) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit educational organization whose goal is to foster feminist studies in religion in all of its variety and diversity. We understand “feminist studies in religion” to encompass global critical feminist work in religious studies, theology, and spirituality both inside and outside the academy and at the grassroots level. We seek to generate new feminist scholarship in religion that is intersectional and committed to social justice, and to create spaces for such scholarship to emerge. Founded in 1983, FSR, Inc. pioneered the development of feminist studies in religion as a field through its establishment and sponsorship of the Journal of Feminist Studies in Religion.
More recently, we have broadened our work in developing a dynamic website and providing other contexts and spaces in which feminists can come together to explore and develop new initiatives such as sponsoring conferences, the FSR Blog, and the FSR LAB’s podcast, Feminists Talk Religion. Continuing our commitment to racial justice, FSR has also recently made these commitments to combat anti-Black racism.
The work of FSR is sustained by a number of boards and administrators:
- Elisabeth Schüssler Fiorenza, President, JFSR, Inc. and Founding Editor, Journal of Feminist Studies in Religion
- Kate Ott, Vice President, JFSR Inc. and Co-editor, Journal of Feminist Studies in Religion
- Deborah Whitehead, Secretary, JFSR Inc.
- Kathleen Gallagher Elkins, Treasurer, JFSR Inc.
- Judith Plaskow, Director, JFSR, Inc. and Founding Editor, Journal of Feminist Studies in Religion
- Kwok Pui lan, Director, JFSR Inc.
- Grace Ji-Sun Kim, Development Coordinator, JFSR Inc.
Zayn Kassam, Co-editor, Journal of Feminist Studies in Religion
Sarah Emmanuel, Co-chair, CoLaboratory
Monique Moultrie, Co-chair, CoLaboratory
Sharon Jacobs, Co-editor, eFSR/Blog
Michal Raucher, Co-editor, eFSR/Blog
Feminist Studies in Religion Unit Boards